Take a closer look at the 10 best drones for kids in 2023, emphasizing their unique features, durability, and user-friendly design.
Discovering the best drones for kids is great to spark your kid’s interest in photography, technology, and even coding. With options like camera drones, mini drones, and larger drones, the right drone for your kid can make all the difference.
In this comprehensive guide, I’ve evaluated and ranked the top 8 best drones for kids, including my top 4 recommendations, so you can make an informed decision and find the perfect fit.”
Ryze Tello: Great for outdoor and indoor use. Best for Image stability.
Potensic A20W Drone for Kids: Provides an ideal mix of features at a reasonable price
Syma X20 Mini Pocket Drone: A great inexpensive drone. It is great for night flying
When I first ventured into the world of drones, I was as lost as a tourist without a map. Now, I can proudly say I’ve navigated the bustling marketplace, found my way around mini drones, zoomed past the tiny drones, and even tackled the bigger drones – all to help you find the best drones for kids available in 2023.
Believe me; it’s a world out there that’s as expansive as the sky and just as full of surprises.
One of the surprises? The moment I realized that choosing the best drone for a kid wasn’t just about picking the coolest-looking drone off the shelf. Not at all! It’s like trying to choose your favorite flavor at a 52-scoop ice cream parlor – a mix of overwhelming, exciting, and a tad bit daunting.
And no, the Federal Aviation Administration isn’t going to swoop in to help you make a choice!
In this drone journey, you need an experienced guide, a drone expert. Someone who’s hit the tree branches and found the sweet spot between altitude and control, who’s had to run across the park as an unruly drone zigged when it should have zagged. And folks, that’s where I come in.
By the end of this post, you’ll be able to make an informed decision, navigate through any obstacle, and maybe even have a few laughs along the way.
So prepare to take off into the world of the best drones for kids in 2023. Here’s to clear skies and steady flights!
The 8 Best Drones for Kids Available in 2023
Oh, the DJI Mini SE! This beauty right here is the perfect blend of functionality and fun, the ‘smoothie’ of the drone world, if you will.
Ideal for aspiring drone pilots, it makes the world of drone photography not just accessible but genuinely delightful.
Now, let’s talk about why the DJI Mini SE is a top choice for young kids and beginners dipping their toes into the drone universe. It’s essentially a mini drone, yes, but it delivers in a way most beginner drones only aspire to.
- Compact and Portable: The DJI Mini SE is incredibly light and easy to carry around. Its weight of 249 grams places it in the lowest and safest weight class of drones, making it easy to pack and perfect for travel.
- Camera Quality: The drone has a 12MP camera that captures high-quality photos and 2.7K Quad HD videos. This makes it perfect for aerial photography.
- Flight Time: With up to 30 minutes of flight time on a full charge, the DJI Mini SE outlasts many other drones in its category.
- Intelligent Flight Modes: QuickShot, CineSmooth Mode, and Return-to-Home features help users easily capture professional-level footage and improve the overall flight experience.
- Easy to Control: With a dedicated remote controller, the DJI Mini SE is straightforward to control, even for young users.
- High-Quality Photos and Videos: The DJI Mini SE’s superior camera features deliver impressive photos and videos.
- Lightweight and Portable: Its compact size makes it easy to carry and ideal for traveling or outdoor activities.
- Impressive Flight Time: With up to 30 minutes of flight time, users can enjoy a long, uninterrupted flying experience.
- Easy to Use: Its simple, intuitive controls are ideal for beginners and young children.
- Lack of Obstacle Avoidance: Unlike some more advanced models, the DJI Mini SE does not have built-in obstacle avoidance technology.
- Dependence on Weather: Like many drones, its lightweight construction means it may struggle in windy conditions.
- Requires Registration: Although it’s in the lowest weight class of drones, it still needs to be registered with local aviation authorities in some countries.
Suitable age range
Although it might seem sophisticated, it’s perfectly suited for young kids above 10. The intuitive controls and safe flying features make it an excellent learning tool for youngsters interested in drone flying.
The DJI Mini SE costs $292.78 on Amazon.
I’ve flown many drones in my time, and I have a special fondness for this drone. This mini drone brings the joy of flying drones to kids and adults alike, packing a punch that’s surprising for its compact size.
- User-Friendly: The Tello is all about simplicity. Its straightforward setup and easy-to-understand controls make it an excellent entry point into the world of drones.
- Stabilization Technology: The built-in barometer and vision positioning system contribute to stable flights and landings.
- Programming Capabilities: One standout feature of the Tello is its compatibility with Scratch, an MIT-developed coding system. This allows kids to learn the basics of programming while having fun.
- Camera: Equipped with a 5MP camera and 720p video recording, the Tello is capable of taking clear and vivid images and videos.
- Flight Time: On a full charge, Tello offers up to 13 minutes of flight time, which is pretty decent for a drone of its size.
- Easy to Use: The Tello’s user-friendly design makes it a suitable choice for kids and beginners in the drone-flying world.
- Educational Value: Its compatibility with the Scratch programming language adds an educational element to the fun of flying.
- Durable: The Tello is surprisingly robust and can withstand the bumps and crashes of learning to fly.
- Limited Camera Quality: The Tello’s camera is fine for basic photography but falls short of the quality offered by some other kids’ drones.
- Reduced Flight Time: With a maximum flight time of 13 minutes, you’ll make regular trips back to the charging station.
- No GPS: The absence of GPS means that the Return-to-Home function relies solely on WiFi, limiting its range.
Suitable age range
Due to its user-friendly design and sturdy build, the Ryze Tech Tello is an excellent option for kids aged 8 and above. It’s a mini drone designed with the younger demographic in mind.
When it comes to cost, the Ryze Tech Tello is a wallet-friendly choice. It’s more affordable than many other drones on the market, making it a fantastic entry point for the curious and the budget-conscious. For a mini drone that combines fun, education, and affordability, you can’t go wrong with the Tello.
The Ryze Tech Tello costs $99 on Amazon.
When it comes to balancing the thrill of flight with ease of use, a few mini drones come close to the Potensic A20W Drone for Kids.
Whether you’re looking for an entry point into the world of flying drones or a stepping stone toward more advanced models, the A20W has got you covered.
Armed with a camera, one key takeoff, and easy-to-master remote control, it’s an irresistible package for kids and beginners.
- Camera: With a 720P HD camera, the A20W allows kids to capture memorable aerial footage and develop their photography skills.
- One Key Take Off/Landing: This feature makes it easy for beginners to safely get the drone into the air and back on the ground.
- Altitude Hold: This handy function enables the drone to hover at a certain height, making it easier to control and perfect for beginners.
- Headless Mode: A great feature for beginners, this mode allows the drone to move in the direction of the controller, regardless of the drone’s orientation.
- User-Friendly: With its one-key take-off/landing and headless mode, the Potensic A20W is perfect for those taking their first steps into drone piloting.
- Decent Camera: The 720P HD camera provides surprisingly good quality images and videos for its size and price range.
- Robust Design: This mini drone is designed to withstand the inevitable bumps and crashes, making it great for younger pilots.
- Limited Flight Time: With around 6-8 minutes of flight time per charge, you may find yourself charging the batteries quite often.
- No GPS: As with many drones designed for kids, there’s no GPS function. This means you need to keep a close eye on the drone when it’s in the air.
- Dependence on App: Some functions, including the camera, require a smartphone app, which can be a bit of a hassle for some users.
Suitable age range
Designed with young drone enthusiasts in mind, the Potensic A20W is an excellent choice for children aged 7 and above. It’s a mini drone that packs a lot of fun and learning in a small package.
The Potensic A20W falls into the affordable category when it comes to drones for kids. While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of some higher-end models, it certainly offers great value for money.
It’s a reliable, fun, and reasonably priced introduction to the world of drones. I’d say it’s an absolute steal for the young, aspiring drone pilot.
The Potensic A20W Drone for Kids costs $39 on Amazon.
The Syma X20 Mini Pocket Drone is a delightful little gem that’s just as fun as it is compact.
Don’t be fooled by its pocket-sized stature; this mini drone has features that make flying a breeze, even for the youngest drone pilots.
With one key take-off and landing, headless mode, and an easy-to-use remote control, it’s designed to get kids airborne and have fun in no time.
- One Key Take-Off/Landing: This feature is a boon for beginners, ensuring a smooth start and safe return every time.
- Headless Mode: With this feature, the drone moves according to the direction of the remote control, regardless of which way the drone is facing.
- Altitude Hold: This function helps maintain a stable height, allowing kids to focus on controlling the direction of the drone.
- 360° Stunt Flip: An extra bit of fun, this feature lets pilots perform cool flips and rolls in mid-air.
- Easy to Control: Thanks to features like headless mode and one key take-off/landing, the Syma X20 is ideal for beginners.
- Compact and Portable: Its pocket-sized design makes it convenient for transport and storage.
- Fun Flight Features: The ability to perform 360° flips adds a bit of excitement to the flying experience.
- No Camera: Unlike other drones in its class, the Syma X20 is not equipped with a camera.
- Limited Battery Life: With a flight time of around 5 minutes, it might leave pilots wishing for more air time.
- Short Control Range: The X20’s control range is quite limited compared to other drones in its class, requiring pilots to stay fairly close.
Suitable age range
The Syma X20 Mini Pocket Drone is an excellent option for kids aged 6 and above. The ease of use and durable design makes it a suitable mini drone for younger children and beginners.
The Syma X20 Mini Pocket Drone is a cost-effective entry point into the world of drones. While it doesn’t offer the features of more expensive models, its low price point and user-friendly design make it a perfect gift for young kids keen to start their drone-flying journey. So, if your budget is tight, but your ambitions are high, the Syma X20 could be the perfect co-pilot for you.
The Syma X20 Mini Pocket Drone is $38.99 currently (on sale). But usually, the price goes to $79.99.
The Holy Stone HS340 Mini FPV Drone for Kids holds a special place in my heart. This mini drone is like the Swiss Army Knife of kids’ drones – compact, versatile, and always ready for action.
With a decent camera and smart control options, it’s a stellar performer that never fails to impress both on the ground and in the sky.
- Camera and FPV Function: This drone boasts a 720P HD camera, offering clear, real-time FPV (First Person View) transmission. Now that’s a feature that’ll make any drone pilot feel like a pro.
- Throw-to-Go: An exciting feature that literally lets you launch the drone into flight by gently tossing it into the air.
- 3D Flips and Rolls: An entertaining feature that lets the pilot perform amazing aerial maneuvers with just a press of a button.
- Smart Control: With its intuitive remote control and smartphone compatibility, piloting the HS340 is an absolute breeze.
- Good Camera and FPV: The 720P HD camera offers clear images, and the real-time FPV function adds a thrilling dimension to flying.
- Fun to Fly: With the throw-to-go function and 3D flip feature, flying this drone is a truly engaging experience.
- Durable and Stable: Built with sturdy material, this drone can take a few bumps, and the smart control ensures stable flights.
- Gravity Control
- Headless Mode
- Limited Flight Time: With a flight time of around 7 minutes, you might need extra drone batteries.
- No GPS: The absence of GPS might limit some advanced flight options and return-to-home features.
- Requires Smartphone for FPV: To enjoy the FPV function, you’ll need to connect a smartphone, which might not always be convenient.
Suitable age range
The Holy Stone HS340 is a fantastic choice for kids aged 8 and above. It’s user-friendly enough for beginners but also offers a suite of features that will keep more experienced young pilots engaged.
When it comes to the Holy Stone HS340, you’re investing in a mini drone that balances affordability and feature-packed fun.
It might not be the cheapest option on the market, but the cost is justified by its robust build, decent camera, and FPV functionality.
If you ask me, this drone offers bang for your buck. It’s a kid-friendly drone that truly delivers on the promise of fun and discovery.
Allow me to introduce you to the Holyton HT02 Mini Drone. This little champ is not your average drone.
What sets it apart from most drones is the power package that it comes with – three rechargeable batteries. Now, that’s a feature that will keep you in the air longer and the fun going.
Paired with a capable camera and an easy-to-use remote control, this mini drone is a bundle of joy.
- Three Rechargeable Batteries: Each battery offers about 21 minutes of flight time, which is remarkably high for a drone in this category.
- 720P HD Camera: The HT02 has a 720P HD camera for capturing clear aerial photos and videos.
- Altitude Hold: This feature maintains the drone’s altitude and allows for more stable video recording.
- Headless Mode and One Key Return: These features make it easier for beginners to control the drone and ensure its safe return.
- Long Flight Time: With three rechargeable batteries providing around 21 minutes of flight time each, the HT02 outlasts most drones in its class.
- Good Camera: The 720P HD camera is excellent for capturing aerial photos and videos.
- Easy to Control: The remote control, headless mode, and one key return make it a breeze to control, even for beginners.
- No GPS: As with many kids’ drones, the HT02 lacks GPS functionality, which could limit some advanced flight capabilities.
- Requires Regular Battery Swapping: While the extra batteries are a bonus, swapping them out does interrupt the flight experience.
- Dependence on Smartphone: To use the camera and other features, you’ll need to use a smartphone, which could be inconvenient for some kids.
Suitable age range
The Holyton HT02 is a fantastic choice for kids aged 10 and above. While its features are user-friendly, the additional flight time and camera capabilities make it more suitable for slightly older kids who can fully appreciate and utilize its offerings.
The Holyton HT02 Mini Drone is a solid mid-range option in terms of pricing. It’s a little more of an investment than other kids’ drones, but the added features and extended flight time make it worth every penny.
For anyone looking for a balance between affordability, durability, and performance, the HT02 is a great choice.
The Holyton HT02 Mini Drone costs $29 on Amazon.
As someone who’s been around drones for quite a while, let me tell you that the BetaFpv FPV Cetus Kit brings something really special to the table.
Here’s a tiny drone that packs a punch well above its weight. This little buddy has made it easier than ever to take to the skies.
Equipped with a top-notch camera, remote control, and user-friendly flying modes, this kit offers a fantastic, immersive flying experience to both beginners and seasoned young pilots.
- Three Flight Modes: The Cetus has three easy-to-switch flight modes: Normal, Sport, and Manual mode, allowing pilots of different skill levels to enjoy flying.
- FPV Camera: This kit has an 800TVL camera, enabling first-person view (FPV) flying for a truly immersive experience.
- Stabilization System: The onboard stabilization system makes this tiny drone easy to fly, even in windy conditions.
- Complete Kit: It includes everything you need to start flying: the drone, controller, FPV goggles, batteries, and a charger.
- FPV Capabilities: The 800TVL camera offers excellent FPV quality, which, combined with the included goggles, makes for an incredibly immersive flying experience.
- Stable and Easy to Fly: Thanks to its stabilization system, it’s one of the easiest drones to fly in its category.
- Versatile: The three flight modes cater to a range of skill levels, from beginners to more experienced pilots.
- Expensive: The Cetus Kit falls into a higher price range compared to most drones designed for kids.
- Limited Flight Time: With a flight time of around 4-5 minutes per battery, you may find yourself swapping batteries quite often.
- More Complex to Operate: While it does offer various modes for beginners, it’s slightly more complex to operate than most kids’ drones.
Suitable age range
Given its slightly more complex features, the BetaFpv FPV Cetus Kit is suitable for kids aged 14 and above.
However, its different flight modes do make it a good pick for both beginners and more advanced young pilots.
The BetaFpv FPV Cetus Kit is a higher-end offering in kids’ drones. It’s a comprehensive package that comes with a cost to match.
However, if you’re willing to make the investment, the wealth of features and the high-quality FPV experience, it offers make it worth every penny. It’s more than a toy; it’s a small adventure waiting to happen.
The BetaFpv FPV Cetus Kit costs $191.99 on Amazon.
8. Kidomo F02:
As a seasoned drone enthusiast, I’ve flown my fair share of drones, and the Kidomo F02 stands out for its impressive blend of fun, function, and flight time. This camera drone brings drone photography to the hands of kids in a user-friendly package.
With two batteries, gesture control, and other exciting features, it has the potential to turn any afternoon into a sky-high adventure.
- Two Rechargeable Batteries: The F02 comes with two batteries, extending your flight fun without the need for frequent charging.
- Gesture Control: With a wave of your hand, you can control the F02, adding a new level of interaction to your flight experience.
- 720P HD Camera: Equipped with a 720P HD camera, this drone offers a wonderful introduction to aerial photography for kids.
- Altitude Hold: This feature keeps the drone steady in the air, which is especially useful when taking photos or videos.
- Extended Flight Time: The inclusion of two batteries extends flight time, which is always a plus in a kid’s drone.
- Easy to Fly: With gesture control and altitude hold, the Kidomo F02 is a joy to fly, even for beginners.
- Good Camera: The 720P HD camera allows kids to take clear aerial photos and videos.
- No FPV: Unfortunately, the F02 lacks first-person view (FPV) functionality, which could limit some of the fun of flying.
- Limited Range: The control range is somewhat limited compared to other drones in its class.
- Plastic Build: The build quality is primarily plastic, which may not hold up well to rough handling or crashes.
Suitable age range
The Kidomo F02 is suitable for kids aged 9 and above. With its range of user-friendly features, it’s a good choice for young beginners who are interested in drone photography.
In terms of price, the Kidomo F02 is a solid mid-range choice. It offers good value for money considering its features, especially the inclusion of two batteries and a decent camera.
While it doesn’t have the bells and whistles of higher-end models, it’s a reliable, user-friendly drone perfect for kids eager to explore the world of drone photography.
The Kidomo F02 costs $49 on Amazon.
Safety Tips to Follow When Flying Kid’s Drones
While it’s exciting to get your hands on the same drone model that made it to the list of the best drones for kids, it’s crucial to remember that safety should always take priority.
Whether you’re flying toy drones or more advanced models, specific guidelines can ensure you have a fun and safe flying experience. Even the easy-to-fly drone models that we love require some basic safety measures.
When it comes to kids flying drones, adult supervision is vital, especially for the younger ones. The world seen from a drone’s perspective can be thrilling, but we have to remember that we’re responsible for a small aircraft zipping around in the air.
An adult can help ensure that the flight remains within the recommended areas and heights, and keep an eye out for any potential obstacles or hazards.
Another important tip is to use propeller guards. These handy accessories, often included with kids’ drones, can prevent injuries from the spinning propellers – a common mishap that could quickly dampen the fun.
Next, it’s crucial to remember that while drones are impressive, they’re not designed for tight indoor spaces. Always fly your drone outdoors, in open areas away from people, buildings, and trees.
Finally, even though it might seem a bit tedious, do take the time to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). While most kids’ drones fall under the weight limit for registration, staying informed is always good.
As a drone enthusiast, I cannot stress enough the importance of safety when flying drones. Let’s ensure our skies are safe and our kids enjoy a delightful, worry-free flight every time.
The Educational Benefits of Drones
As an avid drone user and advocate, I firmly believe that the best kids’ drones are not merely high-flying toys.
These devices can be fantastic educational tools, helping children to develop an array of essential skills. With their varied safety features, the best drones – be it a full-sized model or a mini drone – offer more than just a fun flying experience.
One of the first skills that children can hone while piloting a drone is hand-eye coordination. It’s fascinating to watch how kids quickly pick up on the nuances of drone flight, manipulating the controls in response to the drone’s movements.
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. As they delve deeper into the world of drones, kids can start learning about basic coding.
Several drones have accompanying apps that allow for simple programming, encouraging kids to explore how different coded instructions can translate into varied drone behaviors.
Additionally, drones can be a captivating entry point into the world of physics. They’re practical demonstrations of several fundamental principles – lift, thrust, drag, and gravity – all working together. Kids can gain a hands-on understanding of these concepts, seeing how adjusting variables can impact flight in real time.
To integrate drones into education, start by incorporating simple challenges. For instance, set up an obstacle course that requires precise maneuvering, promoting hand-eye coordination.
Introduce drone programming apps to teach coding basics in an engaging way. And don’t forget the classic egg-drop experiment, made even more exciting when conducted from a drone – a great way to teach about gravity and air resistance.
In a nutshell, drones are a fantastic blend of education and entertainment. The thrill of flight and the learning opportunities these devices offer make them a worthwhile addition to any child’s educational toolkit.
Navigating the world of drones can be a bit overwhelming, given the multitude of choices out there.
But one thing’s clear: whether it’s for play, education, or a blend of both, a mini drone is a fantastic investment in your child’s development and enjoyment. These small but mighty machines not only offer hours of entertainment but also serve as a tool for learning and cultivating skills that will benefit your child well beyond the realm of drone flight.
From boosting hand-eye coordination to providing a practical and exciting introduction to coding and physics, mini drones are not just toys; they’re gateways to a world of learning and exploration. They’re about the thrill of flight, the fun of mastering a new skill, and the joy of seeing the world from a new perspective.
So, are you ready to embark on this exciting journey with your child? Check out our comprehensive range of the best mini drones tailored specifically for kids.
Let’s turn their playtime into an enriching learning experience today.